Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to request a consultation
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

Length of time parents may have to pay child support

When one parent is awarded custody of their child, it is likely that the noncustodial parent will pay child support. The state will then use a formula to determine how much child support is to be awarded on a monthly basis. Along with deciding the amount, parents can also expect to learn how long they will have to pay child support for their child. In some cases, it may be longer than others.

Anyone who is ordered to pay child support can expect to do so until the child turns 18, the child turns 19 or they graduate from high school. The length of time varies from case to case, but the parents should expect to care for the child financially until they are at least 18 years old. Should they choose to continue to support the child financially after that, it is their choice, but they are not required to do so.

People who decide to have children have to take responsibility and care for them properly. Parents who have to pay child support may feel as though it is unfair to pay child support for this length of time, but it is what the courts believe is fair. If two parents were to stay together, they would be required to support the child financially until they were 18 years of age, so it should be no different if the parents are divorced or separated.

Just because someone is ordered to pay child support does not mean that they always do so. Any parent currently experiencing difficulty getting child support from the noncustodial parent should contact an attorney. Both parents should be contributing to the child's life financially, so it is unfair for the noncustodial parent to ignore the payments that should be made. An attorney can help you get your child the money they deserve.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Review Us