Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to speak to an attorney
Call today to speak to an attorney
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

The venue of your custody case depends on your location

Whether you and your child's other parent have divorced, separated, or never planned to be a couple, you may both still wish to spend as much time as possible with your child. Sometimes couples can reach an amicable agreement on this, but this is not always the case. Often the matter must go to court, but what happens if your child's other parent lives in another state? As is explained here, there are a number of factors which can affect where your case is heard.

When both parents are residents of the same state, the venue for the hearing will be determined by that state's custody laws. However, if they live in different states, various laws may apply. For example, if in one state a valid visitation or child custody decree has already been entered, another state is obliged not to modify it, but rather to uphold it.

The decree may be modified if the first state declines or no longer has jurisdiction over it. Grandparents as well as parents are covered under this statute. If there is no valid decree, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act comes into play.

A state may have the power to host a child custody hearing if it is the child in question's home state, or has been within six months of the action being brought. The state must also be the residence of at least one of the child's parents.

It's a lot to take in, but you do not have to do it alone. An attorney may be able to answer your questions and offer the guidance you need as you pursue an agreement that is in both your and your child’s best interests.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Seneca Office
811 Bypass 123
Seneca, SC 29678

Seneca Law Office Map

Easley Office
708 W Main St
Easley, SC 29640

Easley Law Office Map

Review Us