Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to speak to an attorney
Call today to speak to an attorney
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

What steps can you take if you are owed child support?

Raising a child is expensive, particularly if you are on your own. New clothes, school books and uniforms, sports equipment, medical bills, it all adds up. As such, child support payments can be invaluable. Whether or not your child's other parent is still involved in your child's life, he or she should still contribute financially. Why should any child receive less financial support simply because his or her parents are no longer together?

In South Carolina, child support matters are taken very seriously. As such, the penalties for refusing to pay can be severe. If you are not receiving that which you are owed, there are several methods that can be used to encourage your child's other parent to settle the debt. As is explained on the South Carolina State website, these can include the following.

  • The revocation of licenses. This can include driver's, business and even professional licenses, having a significant effect on the prospects of those affected.
  • Summons to explain the lack of payments in court.
  • Withholding income. A clerk of court can arrange for an employer to initiate this process.
  • The interception of tax refunds. Depending on the amount and length of delinquency, both state and federal refunds might be able to be offset.

Of course, every case is unique and it can be helpful to have the advice of an attorney if you have any worries about your child support arrangements. Your child's best interests have to come first, so if the monthly payments are being neglected, it is vital to report the issue as soon as possible and begin working toward a resolution.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Seneca Office
811 Bypass 123
Seneca, SC 29678

Seneca Law Office Map

Easley Office
708 W Main St
Easley, SC 29640

Easley Law Office Map

Review Us