Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to speak to an attorney
Call today to speak to an attorney
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

Establishing father's rights as an unmarried father

Both biological parents have the right to pursue child custody and child visitation, regardless of whether they were ever married. Married fathers, or once married fathers, do not automatically have a better claim to child custody rights compared to unmarried fathers. Rather, the court operates under the assumption that the child benefits more when both parents are involved in his or her life.

However, unmarried fathers may have a more complicated process for establishing father's rights simply because they must establish paternity. If both the father and mother voluntarily sign a paternity acknowledgement, then the process is simple, but if there is a dispute, then the father must complete DNA tests. He may also have to go through more legal steps, including questioning by the court. Once paternity is proved, then he may file for his child custody rights.

Many parents will cooperatively develop a parenting plan either before, during, or even after the court process. This plan provides details about who has primary custody, the visitation schedule, how decisions about the child will be made, and more. If the parents cannot come to an agreement on a parenting plan, then they will have to participate in court hearings, in which the judge will decide on such details based on the child's best interests.

If a parent later decides that he or she is unhappy with the child custody and/or visitation agreement, then he or she may petition for an agreement modification. Once a mother has already been raising the child for a period of time, fathers rarely win sole custody rights unless they prove that the mother is unfit for the role. However, courts are often open to allowing fathers access to their father's rights in either sharing custody or visiting the child regularly.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Seneca Office
811 Bypass 123
Seneca, SC 29678

Seneca Law Office Map

Easley Office
708 W Main St
Easley, SC 29640

Easley Law Office Map

Review Us