Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to speak to an attorney
Call today to speak to an attorney
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

How property is divided in South Carolina

Couples may find that when they divorce they will start to dispute over property. One person may feel as though something is marital property, while the other truly believes that it is separate property. With there being confusion about what property is marital and what is separate, when it comes time to decide which spouse will get what, they often may not agree. When this happens, there's a chance that the couple will have to go before a judge and let them decide who will receive certain property.

In South Carolina, when couples choose to divorce and dispute over property, courts may use equitable division to determine what and how much property a spouse will possibly get. This means that a judge won't necessarily divide property in a way that is even, but they will do so in a way that is fair to both spouses. In some cases, this may leave one spouse with more and the other with less.

Couples who are disputing over property do not always need to let the judge decide how it will be divided. There have been some instances where couples are able to split amicably and make decisions in a fair, mature way that leaves both of them happy. It is only when couples do not agree that a judge is the one to decide for them and they often use state laws to do so.

If you are currently going through a divorce and you and your spouse are having difficulty agreeing on how property will be divided between the two of you, you may want to contact an attorney. When couples are not agreeing on an arrangement for certain things pertaining to their divorce, an attorney can possibly help them come to an agreement before the case goes to court. With spouses not always getting what they want should a judge decide how property will be distributed between the two, if there is a chance that couples can agree on property division, they should consider solving the problem without a judge.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Seneca Office
811 Bypass 123
Seneca, SC 29678

Seneca Law Office Map

Easley Office
708 W Main St
Easley, SC 29640

Easley Law Office Map

Review Us