Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to speak to an attorney
Call today to speak to an attorney
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

Can child support payments be modified in South Carolina?

After parents end their relationships or divorce, child support normally becomes part of their lives. Most parents do not begrudge the payments, as they know their importance in their children's lives. Unfortunately, some parents find themselves struggling to make their court-ordered payments due to job losses or other unexpected events. If you are in a similar situation, you can request that a South Carolina family court modify your child support payments. 

According to information from the South Carolina Center for Fathers and Families, before requesting changes, you should go online to determine whether your current financial situation warrants a change. You can use the state's child support calculator to accomplish this. The results of the calculation need to indicate a substantial change has occurred, which the state views as a 20 percent or greater change in the estimated child support amount.

If you find that a substantial change has occurred in the eyes of the state, you should begin gathering the documents you need for proof of that change. The necessary documents include paycheck stubs, bank account summaries, and your monthly payments for utilities, rent and so on. Once you have gathered the documentation, you will need to fill out the related forms and file them with the court, which carries a fee of $150.

While it is possible to request a child support modification in South Carolina without the help of an attorney, many find it beneficial to approach the request with the help of a lawyer. Your attorney can ensure you correctly fill out all of the necessary paperwork and help you gather the documentation you need to prove the change is warranted. In addition, should your request result in a challenge from your child's other parent, you will have legal support on your side.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Seneca Office
811 Bypass 123
Seneca, SC 29678

Seneca Law Office Map

Easley Office
708 W Main St
Easley, SC 29640

Easley Law Office Map

Review Us