Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to speak to an attorney
Call today to speak to an attorney
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

Examining the child support enforcement options available to the CSSD

While it can be truly liberating to secure a divorce, it would perhaps be a mistake to think that the transition will be seamless. Indeed, a person may have to adjust to new living arrangements and, more perhaps significantly for custodial parents, life on a single income.

The good news, however, is that this single-income difficulty can be mitigated to a substantial degree by things like alimony and, of course, child support. What happens, however, when a parent suddenly stops making these child support payments?

As upsetting and disruptive as this scenario can be, the good news for custodial parents is that the law here in South Carolina provides them with viable enforcement options via both the family courts and the Child Support Services Division.

For instance, in the event a spouse is failing to make their court-ordered child support payments, they will be called before a family court judge and asked to provide a valid reason for their conduct.

If they are able to do so, both the court and CSSD will proceed to explore some of the alternatives available in their case. However, if they are unable to do so, the judge may order them subject to any one of the enforcement options available to the CSSD, and, if they choose, sentence them to up to a year in jail and/or order them to pay a fine of up to $1,500.

This naturally begs the question as to what sort of enforcement options are available to the CSSD.

While a complete breakdown of all these options is beyond the scope of a single blog post, some of the more notable include:

  • License revocation (including driver's license, professional license, business license, occupational license, etc.)
  • Interception of federal and state income tax refunds
  • Interception of federal benefits (Social Security, Veteran Affairs, Department of Education, etc.)
  • Passport denial
  • Interception of unemployment benefits
  • Liens on accounts held in financial institutions (banks, credit unions, savings & loans, etc.)
  • Liens on insurance payments (life insurance, workers compensation, general liability)

What the aforementioned serves to underscore is that parents who have stopped receiving the child support payments to which they are legally entitled do have options, and that parents unable to make payments might consider seeking a modification or taking other proactive measures to avoid potential problems.

If you have questions or concerns relating to child support -- enforcement, modification -- consider speaking with an experienced legal professional to learn more.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Seneca Office
811 Bypass 123
Seneca, SC 29678

Seneca Law Office Map

Easley Office
708 W Main St
Easley, SC 29640

Easley Law Office Map

Review Us