Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law
Call today to speak to an attorney
Call today to speak to an attorney
864-551-4370 Real Estate 864-501-9579

Learn more about past due child support payments

South Carolina custodial parents may be entitled to missed child support payments even after the child turns 18 or is otherwise emancipated. Therefore, a noncustodial parent is obligated to pay any support that is in arrears until that past due balance is paid off. To ensure that a past due balance is paid, the government may suspend professional licenses, garnish wages or seize tax refunds.

Those who are behind in their child support generally cannot have the debt discharged in bankruptcy. In extreme cases, a parent who owes back child support may be sent to jail. However, there may be a statue of limitations as it relates to how long a parent can collect past due balances. Therefore, it may be necessary to have an order renewed to ensure that those past due payments are made.

Child support payments are one way in which parents can work to fulfill the best interest of their child. This is why state and federal governments go to great lengths to ensure that payments are made. Parents who are owed child support may wish to talk with an attorney who may help compel payment in a timely manner. Those who owe child support may wish to talk with an attorney to ask for a modification of a current support order.

It is important to note that a child support order generally cannot be changed retroactively. This means that any payments missed before a support order is modified must be made up according to the terms of the previous order. Failure to do so could result in penalties such as jail time, wage garnishment or the loss of professional licenses or other privileges.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help? Contact Us Today.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202

Aaron & Aaron
133 Thomas Green Blvd, Suite 202
Clemson, SC 29631

Phone: 864-501-9579
Fax: 864-551-2084
Clemson Law Office Map

Seneca Office
811 Bypass 123
Seneca, SC 29678

Seneca Law Office Map

Easley Office
708 W Main St
Easley, SC 29640

Easley Law Office Map

Review Us