How to handle changes in custody and visitation

How to handle changes in custody and visitation

On behalf of Aaron & Aaron, Attorneys at Law posted in Child Custody on Sunday, November 27, 2016.

Parents in South Carolina who are getting a divorce may face a number of issues regarding visitation, custody and child support in the years ahead. One common situation is that the noncustodial parent may start to want more time with their children. This parent should not withhold child support in an effort to make this happen. Instead, talking with the other parent and pursuing a modification in court is the right approach.

In fact, there are a number of issues that are best handled by negotiating. Common problems include one parent being consistently late for visitation, disagreements regarding religion and education, and one parent feeling as though they are shouldering the bulk of many child care duties despite only having joint physical custody.

Some parents may worry about the other parent manipulating or even neglecting or abducting the child. Some examples might be "bribing" a child with gifts, living in an environment that seems insufficiently childproof or otherwise unsafe, or not sharing vacation plans. Parents who want to relocate may need to go through legal channels if they want to maintain all or partial custody. If abduction is a concern, a parent may want to speak to an attorney about what they can do.

If the couple can co-parent with relatively little conflict, children may adjust better to the divorce. One option parents may want to consider is writing a plan for conflict resolution into their parenting agreement. Some of the issues mentioned above, such as how to handle a shift in visitation schedules or vacation plans, can be addressed in the agreement as well. Keeping the child's best interests in mind, just as a judge would do, may be one guideline parents can use to guide their decision-making.